If your kitchen plughole is blocked, don’t panic! In this blog post, we’ll show you how to fix a blocked kitchen plughole quickly and easily.
A blocked kitchen plughole can be a very annoying household problem. It can cause water to back up in your sink, making it difficult to wash dishes, prep food, and meet everyday needs.
Why Is My Kitchen Plughole Blocked?
It is crucial that you carefully watch what goes down your kitchen sink because it can become clogged very quickly.
Kitchen blockages are caused mainly by food going down the drain, and in other cases, they may indicate a plumbing or septic emergency. The most common reason kitchen plug holes get blocked is the accumulation of fats, oil, and grease, known as FOG, and leftover foods and vegetables going down the drain. This post focuses on blockages caused by food in the gutter. If your drain problem isn’t caused by this, you may need to talk to a plumbing professional.
How to Fix A Blocked Kitchen Plughole
The first thing you’ll need to do is locate the blockage. If you can see the backup, you can try to remove it with a plunger. If the jam is further down the drain, you’ll need to use a drain snake or a plumbing auger.
Once you’ve located the blockage, it’s time to get to work! If you’re using a plunger, simply place it over the drain and pump it up and down. Be sure to cover the overflow hole with your finger while doing this. If you’re using a drain snake or a plumbing auger, insert the tool into the drain and rotate it to clear the blockage.
How to Prevent Blockages in Your Kitchen Drain
There are a few things you can do to prevent your kitchen plughole from becoming blocked in the first place. Here’s a list;
- Keep your kitchen holes clean. Wipe up spills immediately and scrub away any built-up grease or grime.
- Use a drain strainer to catch any food particles before they have a chance to clog your drain.
- Do not pour oil, grease, or fat down the drain. These substances will solidify in the drain and block it. Instead, dispose of it in a sealed container
- Also, do not pour coffee grounds or food scraps like eggshells or small bones down the drain. These can also cause a blockage.
- If you find yourself in a blockage emergency, try using the above steps to clear the blockage. If your attempts at unclogging the drain do not work, be sure to call a plumber immediately
There are always indicators that your kitchen sink is beginning to clog. Look for warning signs like water draining slowly, a foul smell that won’t go away, and gurgling noises from your pipes. If you closely monitor these issues, you will be able to find a solution before it expands into a clogging emergency
At Countryside Plumbing, Sewer, and Septic, we deliver professional design, installation, and repair services for your septic and sewer needs. We are a five-star rated service company, licensed to operate in Lake County and other parts of Illinois. Reach out to us here if you have a drain clog emergency.